If an illegal immigrant has a US Born child, it not only doesn’t change their situation, it makes it more difficult for them.
- No one under the age of 21 can sponsor someone for US Citizenship.
- A child over 21 needs to have enough income to support their parents. That not only means you must make 125% of the poverty wage for the child, his/her existing dependents, and the new immigrant dependant, they must be able to convince an immigration officer they have a steady job.
- The illegal must not have entered the US illegally for the last 10 years.
So what currently happens when an illegal immigrant with children is caught? If the other parent is here legally (also alive and well), their fate is obvious: the other parent will retain custody of the child. If both parents are illegal it becomes a tough choice.
- Bring the US Citizen child to the country of the parent(s) origin. Most of the children are dual citizens and are allowed entry, particularly in countries in the Americas. However many countries of origin are dangerous and the immigrants feel such a move would be an effective death sentence.
- Leave the US Child with a US-based guardian, separating the family.
Here are some things that do not happen
- The US Citizen child causes illegal immigrants to stay in the US illegally
- The US Citizen child “legalizes” illegal parents, granting them visas to stay indefinitely
- The US Citizen child grants automatic citizenship to the parents, welfare for life, brand new iPhone X’s for both parents, free healthcare for life and a signed photo from President Trump wishing them well